News & Articles
A.I. Detects Alzheimer's in Brain Scans Six Years Before a Diagnosis
- - Researchers programmed a machine-learning algorithm to diagnose early-stage Alzheimer's disease
- - When tested, the algorithm correctly identified 92 percent of patients who developed Alzheimer's disease in the first test set, and 98 percent in the second
- - The AI made predictions, on average, 78.8 months before the patient received their final diagnosis
- - Early diagnosis is critical, as it allows to treat symptoms before damage becomes irreversible
- - For full clinical relevance, researchers deem necessary to train the algorithm on a larger, more diverse patient dataset
D. Smith; USCF. Jan 2, 2019.Full article...
FDA Approves 'Magic Mushrooms' Ingredient Psilocybin for Trial on Treatment-resistant Depression
- - Psilocybin is a psychedelic occuring naturally in mushrooms, and can cause feelings of euphoria
- - 216 patients with treatment-resistant depression will take part in a trial across 12-15 research sites in N. America & Europe
- - In existing trials, psilocybin, along supportive therapy sessions, has proven highly effective for patients w/ severe
- - Psilocybin coupled w/ therapy has worked for patients who otherwise failed to improve from other meds or procedures
- - "If our studies are successful, we could be applying for marketing authorization in 2-3 years ... depression is a huge unmet need w/ 300 million patients worldwide; [of these], 100 million don't respond to existing treatments."
K. Gander; Newsweek. Aug 8, 2018..Full article...
Scientists modify spiders to produce web that can hold a human
- - Scientists combined spider silk w/ graphene & carbon nanotubes, producing a composite
5x stronger than regular spider silk
- - The composite material is produced by spiders themselves, after drinking water containing the nanotubes
- - The method takes advantage of metabolic processes already active in arachnids: "Silk's properties are 'enhanced' by incor- porating various nanomaterials into its biological protein structures"
- - The feat is a proof-of-concept; further testing and refinement is required for applied implementation
- - Potential applications include making enhanced parachutes, rope, cables, and more
A. Masterson; SMH. Aug 23, 2017.Full article...