Artificial Intelligence | News & Articles
A.I. Detects Alzheimer's in Brain Scans Six Years Before a Diagnosis
- - Researchers programmed a machine-learning algorithm to diagnose early-stage Alzheimer's disease
- - When tested, the algorithm correctly identified 92 percent of patients who developed Alzheimer's disease in the first test set, and 98 percent in the second
- - The AI made predictions, on average, 78.8 months before the patient received their final diagnosis
- - Early diagnosis is critical, as it allows to treat symptoms before damage becomes irreversible
- - For full clinical relevance, researchers deem necessary to train the algorithm on a larger, more diverse patient dataset
D. Smith; USCF. Jan 2, 2019.Full article...