Medicine | News & Articles
FDA Approves 'Magic Mushrooms' Ingredient Psilocybin for Trial on Treatment-resistant Depression
- - Psilocybin is a psychedelic occuring naturally in mushrooms, and can cause feelings of euphoria
- - 216 patients with treatment-resistant depression will take part in a trial across 12-15 research sites in N. America & Europe
- - In existing trials, psilocybin, along supportive therapy sessions, has proven highly effective for patients w/ severe
- - Psilocybin coupled w/ therapy has worked for patients who otherwise failed to improve from other meds or procedures
- - "If our studies are successful, we could be applying for marketing authorization in 2-3 years ... depression is a huge unmet need w/ 300 million patients worldwide; [of these], 100 million don't respond to existing treatments."
K. Gander; Newsweek. Aug 8, 2018..Full article...