Nanotechnology | News & Articles
Scientists modify spiders to produce web that can hold a human
- - Scientists combined spider silk w/ graphene & carbon nanotubes, producing a composite
5x stronger than regular spider silk
- - The composite material is produced by spiders themselves, after drinking water containing the nanotubes
- - The method takes advantage of metabolic processes already active in arachnids: "Silk's properties are 'enhanced' by incor- porating various nanomaterials into its biological protein structures"
- - The feat is a proof-of-concept; further testing and refinement is required for applied implementation
- - Potential applications include making enhanced parachutes, rope, cables, and more
A. Masterson; SMH. Aug 23, 2017.Full article...